Monday, 18 March 2013

Hodgson not worried by Rooney's temper troubles

England boss Roy Hodgson says he is not concerned about Wayne Rooney’s disciplinary record ahead of his side’s clash with Montenegro later this month.

Last time the Three Lions played in Podgorica, they were leading 2-0 before the Manchester United striker was sent-off for lashing out at an opponent.

England ended up drawing that game 2-2, with Rooney being handed a two-match ban for the incident, meaning he missed the first two games of Euro 2012.

This wasn’t the first time that the 27-year-old’s temper had got the better of him in a big match, after he was previously sent-off for stamping on Portugal defender Ricardo Carvalho in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup. Indeed, punters who bet on football regularly back Rooney to see red.

Following draws against Poland and Ukraine, the Three Lions currently sit second behind the Montenegrins in their World Cup qualifying group, and the upcoming clashes against both San Marino and Branko Brnovic’s men are sure to prove vital in their bid to qualify for Brazil in 2014.

This means Rooney is likely to be once again under the spotlight but Hodgson says he won’t be taking any special measures to ensure the striker keeps his head at the Stadion Pod Goricom.

"I don't think I will speak to Wayne personally on the matter because he is more than aware (of what happened),” the boss said to football betting news reporters. "When you have been sent off in a game, you don't forget your sendings off.

"I will be speaking to all the players. Away matches at this level of football require a lot of discipline, not only tactical discipline but also mental.

"But I won't be singling out Wayne for that. He has not let me down as a player so I have no reason to doubt him," he added.