Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster says he’s now aiming to seal his place in the England squad for the 2014 World Cup following his recent heroics against Barcelona.
The 24-year-old has been earning rave reviews since moving to the Bhoys on loan in 2010 and his performances in last season’s title winning campaign persuaded the Glasgow giants to pay Newcastle £2.5million for his permanent signature in the summer.
He has once again impressed so far this term, helping Celtic to some impressive live scores, and after years of taking the plaudits in Scotland, he finally earned some recognition south of the border, as he was called up to the England squad for the recent World Cup qualifiers.
Following his match winning performance in Celtic’s Champions League win over Barcelona, as result that stunned punters gambling online, he was once again included in the party for Wednesday’s friendly with Sweden.
Despite being yet to make his debut, Forster is being tipped to earn his first cap in Stockholm and is seen by many as current incumbent Joe Hart’s biggest long-term competition for the Three Lions number one jersey.
The ambitious stopper is understandably pleased with his form and is now eyeing a place in the 23-man squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
"I was in the England squad for the last World Cup qualifiers and I'm in again this time which is great," Forster said. "England is something I've been aiming for and I enjoyed getting to work with Joe Hart when we met up with the last squad. He's a great guy as is the goalkeeping coach Dave Watson.
"That fortnight was an important experience for me and, having watched the last World Cup on TV, I've got to be aiming to get to Brazil with England for the next one."