Friday 17 February 2012

Redknapp coy on England job

Harry Redknapp refused to be drawn on his future as he prepared for Tottenham Hotspur’s FA Cup tie at Stevenage this weekend.

Redknapp, the favourite to replace Fabio Capello as England manager, said he has not been approached by the Football Association.

Redknapp said: "I've not spoken to anybody - I'm not going to rule myself out but I've not been ruled in either. I've just been thinking about Stevenage all week."

The speculation is an unwelcome distraction for Spurs heading into the business end of the season. The North London club sit third in the Premier League, seven points behind leaders Manchester City, and are in the last 16 of the FA Cup.

Redknapp is determined to finish the season on a high and give the Spurs supporters something to cheer about. People placing online Euro 2012 free bets need to remember this.

"My focus is on trying to get Tottenham as high up the table as I can. We want a Champions League spot and we also have a chance in the FA Cup," he added.
The 64-year-old admitted the new manager would need to do the job full-time, which means he would have to decide whether to leave Spurs with the job only half done.

Former England captain David Beckham became the latest big name to endorse Redknapp.

"Harry's a great man and a great manager," said Beckham.

"His man-management is incredible. I know players who have played under him and I've trained under him. He's not just a great manager but a great person. But right now he is the Spurs boss."

England will be hoping whoever comes in can galvanise the squad ahead of England's Euro 2012 opener against France on June 11.